Oberheim Matrix-1000 Controller

Oberheim Matrix-1000 Controller

Postby untergeekDE » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 am

I've made myself a controller for the Oberheim Matrix series - I have been owning a Matrix-1000 module since the 90s and have only recently started rediscovering it. As there are still a couple of Matrixes around, I guess it might be of interest to a couple of TBStuff users.

You'll find the actual canvas file at the end of this post - please read this first.

It's all still beta. I tested every control, but if you run into a bug or have an idea for improvement, please drop me a hint.

You have to be aware that the Matrix is an old machine - it's not really fast enough for real-time tweaking, and there are a couple of bugs in the firmware, most famously the inability to edit ENV1 Sustain and ENV2 to VCA with a controller. The controls that don't work are black, and you are advised not to touch them - unless you are using the 1.1.3 firmware patch, or a Matrix-6. And you won't be able to control the synth's strongest asset, the Modulation Matrix - as TB only allows to use one variable in a sysex command. I've devised a partial workaround, but as this involves adding more than 200 elements, I'll leave that for later. EDIT: This works now, see below.

Talking of the Matrix-6: You can use the controller for this synth as well, but positively no matrix modulation control here - the instructions for setting it are not implemented in the M6 firmware.

More on the Matrix-1000 and its issues here in my blog post for the controller: http://www.untergeek.de/2014/03/reclaiming-the-matrix-new-life-for-an-old-beast-via-ipad-control/

I also ran into a couple of issues with TB Midi Stuff; I'll elaborate in a support thread.

There's still room for improvement. As stated above, I'd like to implement at least partial control of the mod matrix (in the form of "presets"), and I'm going to do a "Init Sound" button that also resets all controls. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Oberheim Matrix v1.03.tbmc
V1.03 canvas file
(684.35 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Last edited by untergeekDE on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:47 am, edited 10 times in total.
Maker. Synth nerd. Serendipist. Early digital immigrant. Father of two. And more.
untergeekDE

Re: Oberheim Matrix-1000 Controller

Postby untergeekDE » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:42 pm

NEW RELEASE: As Fabien extended TBMS, it is now possible to build a controller for the full Matrix-1000 functionality, including the modulation matrix. Sweet!

(EDIT: Unfortunately, Matrix-6 owners won't be able to manipulate the mod matrix via this controller, due to firmware limitations. Well, you can still edit on the unit itself.)

Just open attached canvas file in TBMS on your iPad. It consists of 3 panels. MIDI channel settings are irrelevant for the editor panels; set the channels for the Arpeggiator/controls by clicking on the title of the Performance panel.

You do know about Bob Grieb's brilliant firmware rewrite for Matrix-1000 and Matrix-6? They are worth getting, and this TBMS panel is the ideal companion - smooth parameter sweeps in real time. Also have a look at the (pricey) "Patch Touch" editor app, please - all parameters on one page, and true sound editing rather than just controlling parameters.

Release no. is now 1.03 - Please report bugs to untergeek [at] untergeek de

V1.03 fixes two small bugs: LFO1->DCO2 and LFO2->DCO2PW were switched, and INIT should work properly now.
V1.01 fixes a bug in one of the modulation matrix paths.

New in v1.0
- New colour scheme - closer to the original Matrix-6, and a hell of a lot better to read
- Modulation controls are generally red now, value controls are blue.
- Reorganised Faders on Osc and performance panel; seems more logical to me now
- Ramp generators on Osc page
- Init button
- Info page is displayed when you touch the Oberheim logo
- Due to a quirk in TBMS, some value select boxes wouldn't transmit value 1, the second option - this has been fixed
- DCO MIX fixed
- v1.0 means: I won't be updating this anytime soon now :)

New in v0.7:
- Fixed FM control (that bug has crept back in)
- Fixed Modulation Matrix path 4
- Small UI adaptations in performance panel

New in v0.6:
- Performance panel with an arpeggiator and x/y controllers for Pitch/Aftertouch and Modwheel/Breath Control
- Unified naming of controllers and Vibrato

New in v0.5:
- Removed the "filter same value" setting from select boxes - makes editing a lot easier.
- Upload one canvas file rather than the indiividual panels to minimize confusion with TBMS newbies :)

- Bugfixes: ENV2 trigger mode select, mod matrix 3, LFO1 to DCO1 control

New in v0.4:
- Add: 2-button press sends Matrix1000 INIT sound, using new TBMS 2.2.4 feature
- Add: Mod Matrix support using the new "Masked Variable Setting" feature of TBMS 2.2.4+.
- Fixed: DCO Mix, some tooltips and ranges
- Fixed: Non-valid LFO parameters hidden
- Fixed: Buggy ENV2VCA control marked (bug in Matrix firmware v1.11 and older)
- Fixed: Levers to VCF modulation
- Fixed: VCF Resonance control
- Fixed: OSC1 and OSC2 PW control
Last edited by untergeekDE on Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:57 am, edited 12 times in total.
Maker. Synth nerd. Serendipist. Early digital immigrant. Father of two. And more.
untergeekDE

Postby Helder » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:12 am

Hi,

I am completely iliterate when it comes to programming Midi controllers, etc. All I want is a way to program sounds on my Matrix 1000 on the iPad. How do I install your editor on my ipad?

Also, is it possible with your editor to assign modulation sources (namely mod wheel, pitch bend, and aftertouch) to different parameters like filter cutoff frequency etc? Can this be done in real-time and sent to the Oberheim? You mention a "modulation matrix" but this is somethign different, correct?

Tahnk you and pardon my ignorance!
Helder

Postby untergeekDE » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Helder wrote:Hi,

I am completely iliterate when it comes to programming Midi controllers, etc. All I want is a way to program sounds on my Matrix 1000 on the iPad. How do I install your editor on my ipad?

Okay, here's how. Excuse me for describing things you'll already have done anyway.

First, find a good combination of an iPad compatible MIDI interface with a master keyboard. I'm using a Novation X-Station via the Camera Connection Kit/USB; you may also use something like the Alesis IO Dock together with the brilliant Midi Bridge app: connect your master keyboard to the Dock's Midi In, your Matrix-1000 to the Midi Out, and route a Midi Through connection in Midi Bridge. This allows you to merge the signals from the editor and from your keyboard to listen to what you've done.

Oh, and you won't need a connection from the Oberheim back in to the iPad. To be honest, this is a controller rather than an editor; great for building sounds from scratch and just tweaking this or that, but you can't load presets from the Oberheim into the editor. (Get the Mac ObieEditor for that; it's great and it's free. ;)

Now that you're connected, let's get started:

- Get yourself TB Midi Stuff from the app store.
    - Open Safari, surf to this thread and click on the file "Oberheim Matrix v0.5.tbmc" attached to the post above. This is a so called canvas file containing the two editor panels for your Obie.
    - Open file in TB Midi Stuff. You'll see the OSC editor panel. To navigate to the modulations panel, press on the little white triangle in the upper left corner of the screen. (We'll get to mod editing in a minute.)
    - Set MIDI output in TBMS: Click on on the wrench icon top right, select the MIDI OUT setting, and set the MIDI interface you are using (e.g. the Alesis IO Dock).
    - Just try tweaking any controller; you may start with the VCF FRQ slider. It'll take the Matrix a couple of moments to process the input. Play a note. Tweak again. Play another note. Have fun.
    - Save edited sounds by pressing and holding ENTER on your Matrix and entering a preset number.

Helder wrote:Also, is it possible with your editor to assign modulation sources (namely mod wheel, pitch bend, and aftertouch) to different parameters like filter cutoff frequency etc? Can this be done in real-time and sent to the Oberheim? You mention a "modulation matrix" but this is somethign different, correct?

Yes, and yes. And, well.

The Oberheim has a host of hard-wired modulations. The most common ones are controlled via a setting you'll find right next to the DCO1/2 setting: you can switch on pitch bend control and mod wheel/vibrato for each osc. There are more sophisticated controls as well - there's a dedicated parameter, for example, to control the amount of LFO variation of the pulse width and oscillator frequency. To get an idea, have a look at the "cheat sheet" that Atom Smasher from suspicious.org made a couple of decades ago (unfortunately, it's no longer on the web, so I've uploaded a dodgy scan here.)

If this was it, Tom Oberheim would probably have named his synth "Fixed Modulations-1000". But he didn't!

The modulation matrix allows you to do just that: select a modulation source - one of the LFOs or envelope generators, one of the two ramp generators, or a midi controller -, select a target, and set the amount, the strength of the modulation. A simple example: To achieve a sustain pedal functionality for piano sounds, there is this modulation: source: Switch A, target: Envelope 2 Release Time, amount: +64. You'll probably know this kind of design from any other modern synth, they all copied it from Tom. And they did well - you can do marvelous things with it.

There are ten independent modulation slots in the Matrix-6/1000 series. So there's enough overhead to, say, have a sound varied by mod wheel, aftertouch, keyboard velocity (the Matrix understands Release velocity as well!), and CC02 (Breath Control).

So you may say: why bother? Now that I've got a controller panel that is capable of controlling any Matrix parameter, why should I program the Mod Matrix? Well: As the Matrix is an old machine, its processor is simply not fast enough to recalculate most parameter changes in real-time - and there is a nasty bug in the firmware which makes this especially audible when changing the filter settings.

Another note: All parameters are controlled by sending a special System Exclusive message changing just that one parameter. This is an oldschool way, more modern synths know the so-called NRPN parameter control. SysEx is, amongst other things, not limited to one channel. To make things worse, the mod matrix is controlled by a special set of SysEx instructions that almost all other controller boards (like Lemur) cannot send - so this is really a first: a controller board for each and every patch parameter.

Oh, and you can't set global parameters like Vibrato frequency with it. But disregarding this, it's great.

Helder wrote:Tahnk you and pardon my ignorance!

You're welcome! Curious for your feedback.

cheatsheet.jpeg
Cheat Sheet scan
cheatsheet.jpeg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 30666 times
Last edited by untergeekDE on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
untergeekDE

Postby Helder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Thank you! For the very detailed instructions! I took note and will try it as soon as I can.
Helder

Postby untergeekDE » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:55 pm

One thing I forgot to mention: You may know that the Matrix-1000 is actually a Matrix-6 minus the programming and the sound splits, so the place to go to learn about programming the Matrix-1000 is the Matrix-6 manual. You'll find it here, along with more info than you'd actually wanted. :D
untergeekDE

Postby Helder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks, great tip about the manual - I will check it out.
I did what you told me and made it work. It works very well. The only thing I noticed is that when I assign mod wheel to VCF F (frequency) sometimes it works other times it doesn't (seems to depend on the patch I have loaded originally on the Oberheim). Any ideias?

I also have ObieEditor. In that mod wheel is called lever 2 correct?

Another odd thing that happened (MIDI hein?!) is that I used to be able to change banks on the Obie by turning the mod wheel all the way up and then sending Program Change messages from 0 to 9 from my master keyboard. Now it doesn't work...it just changes patches no matter how the mod wheel is. It happened since I started using TB MIDI Stuff with your editor and started playing with the modulation matrix...any ideas?

Thanks again, you've been very helpful. I am not a good synth programmer but I am having fun nonetheless :)
Helder

Postby Helder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:58 pm

Answering my own question...I made it work. Went into ObieEditor and, in Global, assigned "Lever 2" to 1 (Modulation) and then it worked again :) Changing banks with the mod wheel up. And also I could assign Lever 2 to VCF Freq and now it works again :) Great stuff :) Thanks!
Helder

Postby Canisius » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:54 pm

This is awesome!

Bringning my Matrix-6 to life.
I think I'm lucky to have the updated 2.13 OS in my synth?
Most parameters respond quite fast, others slow due to the slow CPU in the synth.
But way more fun than pressing buttons back and forth for ages.

How do I save the Canvas, so I don't have to download it everytime?
Should be easy, just can't figure it out.

nice to see it already updated so fast with v. 0.5 already.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for this!
Canisius

Postby Helder » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:05 pm

How do I save the Canvas, so I don't have to download it everytime?

I had the same problem. What I did is I went into the settings in TB MIDI STUFF (tap on the little wrench icon) and enables "Restore Last Pages Canvas At Launch". When you open the app again it restores the last canvas you used (for me it is always and only the Matrix 1000 controller). I still don+t know how to load different canvas if needed from the app itself...
Helder

Postby untergeekDE » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Hmmmm... I must admit that I don't know for sure.

Using Helder's approach, i.e. setting "Restore Last Pages Canvas At Launch", is a good idea. Did that too and forgot about it.
    Try tapping the magnifying glass symbol up top to the left, and then the little "i" next to the name of the canvas. Then you can save it, if necessary.
    Loading a canvas: Tap the plus symbol next to the magnifying glass, and select the "Instrument" category in the Canvas Snapshot Library. Select the canvas and tap "Load" above.

This is how it works with me.
untergeekDE

Postby Canisius » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Can't seem to assign mod wheel or pitch wheel to do anything besides what the keyboard is programmed for?
Do I have to set it up on the keyboard itself, before the Levers can be assigned to control filter, ect. in the Modulation Matrix?

Thanks!
Canisius

Postby Canisius » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Should the Keyboard (Matrix 6) show on the display, when I'm fiddling around with the soure and target in Modulation Matrix on the app, because it's not.

All other parameters in the app are responding, so I can see it on the Keyboard display.
Canisius

Postby untergeekDE » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:20 am

Canisius, I don't own a Matrix-6, so I won't be able to answer specifically. But I hope I can help.

What Oberheim calls "levers" does not appear in my controller as I found it confusing. I translated it to standard technology: "Lever 1" is Pitch Wheel, "Lever 2" is Mod Wheel, "Lever 3" can be assigned to any MIDI control in the global settings, so I called it MIDI CC. (So the first thing to is probably have a look at your global settings; what's assigned to Lever 1-3.)

One confusing fact is that what the Matrix manual calls "Vibrato" is sometimes supposed to mean the actual waveform, as generated by the Vibrato generator (a.k.a. LFO3), sometimes the Modulation Wheel, and sometimes the Vibrato wave controlled by the Modwheel (as in parameter 25: LEVERS). I got confused by this; in the next release 0.6 I am going to be more consistent and write VIBRATO whenever I mean the actual waveform generator, MODWHEEL whenever I mean the Modwheel amount as transmitted via Midi CC1, and WHEEL VIB whenever I mean Modwheel-controlled vibrato.

The editing of the modulations does work; I've checked again, e.g. Source: Modwheel (e.g. "Lever 2"), Amount: +63, Target: VCF F (filter sweep w/ modwheel), or Source: Midi CC (e.g. "Lever 3"), Amount: +63, Target: VCF Q (resonate on Breath Control, which I've routed to a foot controller on my master keyboard).
untergeekDE

Postby Helder » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:49 am

The editing of the modulations does work; I've checked again, e.g. Source: Modwheel (e.g. "Lever 2"), Amount: +63, Target: VCF F (filter sweep w/ modwheel), or Source: Midi CC (e.g. "Lever 3"), Amount: +63, Target: VCF Q (resonate on Breath Control, which I've routed to a foot controller on my master keyboard).

I can attest that this works for me too, on my Matrix 1000.
Helder

Postby Canisius » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:36 pm

What Oberheim calls "levers" does not appear in my controller as I found it confusing. I translated it to standard technology: "Lever 1" is Pitch Wheel, "Lever 2" is Mod Wheel, "Lever 3" can be assigned to any MIDI control in the global settings, so I called it MIDI CC. (So the first thing to is probably have a look at your global settings; what's assigned to Lever 1-3.)

Is the whole point not, that I can do this with the app.
What is the reason for looking at this?

Nothing is happening for me, when I try to target diffrent parameters to the levers on the app. The Lever only affects the parameters I've sourced them to on the Keyboard it self.

I must be doing something wrong, but it seems straight forward.

Thanks for your replay's !
Canisius

Postby Canisius » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Would it be possible to program in an Arpeggiator on the Canvas ?

;)
Canisius

Postby Canisius » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:37 pm

untergeekDE wrote:Hmmmm... I must admit that I don't know for sure.

Using Helder's approach, i.e. setting "Restore Last Pages Canvas At Launch", is a good idea. Did that too and forgot about it.
    Try tapping the magnifying glass symbol up top to the left, and then the little "i" next to the name of the canvas. Then you can save it, if necessary.
    Loading a canvas: Tap the plus symbol next to the magnifying glass, and select the "Instrument" category in the Canvas Snapshot Library. Select the canvas and tap "Load" above.

This is how it works with me.

Thanks!
Canisius

Postby Helder » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Canisius wrote:Would it be possible to program in an Arpeggiator on the Canvas ?

;)

That would be cool!!
Helder

Re: Oberheim Matrix-1000 Controller - Arp

Postby untergeekDE » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:20 am

Well, TBMS has a little arp (in the keyboard module), so I've started building an arpeggiator page for fun. So here you are. It's really just a proof of concept. (Now that WAS fast.)

Unfortunately, TBMS won't allow me to set MIDI IN and OUT as a variable, so you'll have to edit that in the setting for that panel. (My Oberheim listens to Channel 5, so I've used that value.)

arp-screenv0.1.jpg
arp-screenv0.1.jpg (72.45 KiB) Viewed 30450 times

Can be made to look a lot better. Will probably integrate it in the next canvas release.
Attachments
Arpeggiator Panel v0.1.tbms
Arpeggiator Panel (v0.1)
(43.9 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Last edited by untergeekDE on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
untergeekDE

Postby untergeekDE » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:32 am

Canisius wrote:Is the whole point not, that I can do this with the app.
What is the reason for looking at this?

Nothing is happening for me, when I try to target diffrent parameters to the levers on the app. The Lever only affects the parameters I've sourced them to on the Keyboard it self.

I must be doing something wrong, but it seems straight forward.

Thanks for your replay's !

Sorry, Canisius, I can't help you there - it works on my Matrix-1000, maybe the Matrix-6 is a little less forgiving concerning matrix modulation parameters. You might try this:

- Fire up TBMS and the controller.
- Transmit the INIT sound (by pressing the little grey triangles on the first panel).
- Press a key. Say "Ugh".
- Set VCF Frequency and Resonance to 0.
- Set the "Freq Mod" box for DCO1 and DCO2 to "WHEELS OFF".
- Switch over to the modulation panel.
- Set the first modulation path: Source - MOD WHEEL, Target - VCF F, Amount - +63.

Meaning: Modulation #0 has source 19, target 9, and amount +63 now. This should enable you to do a filter sweep with the lever now. As by the Matrix-6 manual, you should find these settings on the Matrix Mod page (don't ask me where, it's your synth after all). If that doesn't work, I won't be able to help from here - sorry.
untergeekDE

Postby Helder » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Thank you for sharing your arpeggiator, that''s very cool.

However I can't seem to be able to trigger my Matrix 1000 from the virtual keayboard, both in your arp as well as in the native keyboard in TBMS - any idea why?

So, I can't use the arp and I really would like to...

The Midi I/O are well set because the synth responds to the changes in parameters but it won't respond to notes via the virtual keyboards...

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Helder

Postby Canisius » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Looking forward to try these things out and the Arpeggiator!

Thanks for taking the time!

I'm still really enjoying the app!
Canisius

Postby Canisius » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:12 am

Thanks for the arpeggiator. It works fine for me.
Set the midi channel to 5 on the Matrix 6 and it worked.

The Modulation Matrix does not work for me.
I will try some more, but the keyboard is not responding to the changes I make.

If anyone has luck with it on the Matrix 6 Keyboard, please let me know :)

Thanks for the help so far :)
Canisius

Postby untergeekDE » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:09 pm

Kind oft a last resort question, bur are you using the latest versions of the canvas (v0.5) and TBMS (2.2.5)?
untergeekDE

Postby Canisius » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:31 pm

untergeekDE wrote:Kind oft a last resort question, bur are you using the latest versions of the canvas (v0.5) and TBMS (2.2.5)?

Please feel free to ask me anything you like about it.

Yeah I have thoose updates!
Canisius

Postby untergeekDE » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:37 pm

Helder wrote:The Midi I/O are well set because the synth responds to the changes in parameters but it won't respond to notes via the virtual keyboards...

Not quite. The parameters are changed via SysEx, and SysEx is not channel-bound. So I think there's a pretty good chance changing the MIDI settings in TBMS will do the trick: Call up arp panel, click "Edit" and enter the Page Editor, then click on the settings symbol in the top right corner - the sliders icon - and set "Midi In Channel" and "Midi Out Channel" according to your needs. Or change the Matrix-1000's channel to 5. ;)
untergeekDE

Postby untergeekDE » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:02 pm

Canisius wrote:The Modulation Matrix does not work for me.
I will try some more, but the keyboard is not responding to the changes I make.

Just had a brief look at what I could find on the Matrix-6 Midi Sysex specification. Seems that the command to remote-edit a single modulation matrix path is Matrix-1000 only. I'll go over to the Oberheim forum at Yahoo groups to have this confirmed, but this would mean that there is, in fact, no way to do this with TBMS and the Matrix-1000.

I'm sorry - and I'm really surprised: I always assumed that Matrix-6 and Matrix-1000 were compatible and identical in that respect.
untergeekDE

Postby Canisius » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Nothing to do about it maybe.

Keeping my fingers crossed..
Canisius

Postby Helder » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:23 pm

untergeekDE wrote:
Helder wrote:The Midi I/O are well set because the synth responds to the changes in parameters but it won't respond to notes via the virtual keyboards...

Not quite. The parameters are changed via SysEx, and SysEx is not channel-bound. So I think there's a pretty good chance changing the MIDI settings in TBMS will do the trick: Call up arp panel, click "Edit" and enter the Page Editor, then click on the settings symbol in the top right corner - the sliders icon - and set "Midi In Channel" and "Midi Out Channel" according to your needs. Or change the Matrix-1000's channel to 5. ;)

Thanks. It now works with your Arpegiattor (chnaged midi out port in the page editor settings and the midi channel to the receiving channel of the matrix). Strangely the native keyboard/arpegiattor of the TBMS does not work still...not sure what is going on there.

Your Arp is really great. I now trigger it from my master keyboard as I set the midi in channel too! One suggestion of I may - a Latch or Hold button :)
Helder

Postby untergeekDE » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:41 am

From the Yahoo Oberheim forum:
--------------------------
Confirmed. M6 (and 6R) implement SYSEX commands 1..6, which means the following commands are exclusively for M1000:

08 Set Group Mode
09 Clear Group Mode
0A Set Bank
0B Remote Parameter Edit ******** THIS IS FOR MOD MATRIX ONLY ********
0C Unlock Bank
0D Single Patch to Edit Buffer
0E Store Edit Buffer

Basically, M6 SYSEX command 6 (Change Parameter) simply mimicks the behavior of pressing buttons on PATCH EDIT Page. Only parameters 0..99 are recognized.
untergeekDE

Postby Canisius » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Strange they have the difference.
At least we know now.
I'll just have to learn it from the buttons then.
Could get a Matrix 1000, but I think the M6 sounds a little better.

But just to be 100% sure,

It's Impossible to edit the M6's Modulation Matrix externally then ?
Only by button press on the synth?
Canisius

Postby untergeekDE » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Canisius wrote:But just to be 100% sure,

It's Impossible to edit the M6's Modulation Matrix externally then ?
Only by button press on the synth?

Well, you can send a complete preset via Sysex. Write every change of a parameter into an edit buffer of 275 bytes, and then transmit it en bloc. Just like the editors do it to circumvent the problem of the ENV2 Sustain bug in the Matrix-1000. But unfortunately, you can't do that in TBMS.

So for the time being, the only way is to live with this limitation. Or get a desktop editor like ObieEditor for OSX. :)
untergeekDE

Postby untergeekDE » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:57 pm

Helder wrote:Your Arp is really great. I now trigger it from my master keyboard as I set the midi in channel too! One suggestion of I may - a Latch or Hold button :)

Fabien informed me that this feature actually exists, so I integrated it. Cleaned up the design and added controllers for Pitch, Aftertouch, Mod Wheel and Breath for good measure. All in Canvas version v0.6 now - just go to the second post in this thread, download and reinstall... :)
untergeekDE

Postby Helder » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:44 pm

Fabien informed me that this feature actually exists, so I integrated it. Cleaned up the design and added controllers for Pitch, Aftertouch, Mod Wheel and Breath for good measure. All in Canvas version v0.6 now - just go to the second post in this thread, download and reinstall...

This is awesome! I will try it out but it looks great. Thank you so much, I for one, am really digging this and enjoying myself! :)

P.S.: I have now tried it, it is excellent. One add-on suggestion, if you are in the mood: on the left X/Y pad it would be nice if it was possible to have the choice between returning to the original point (as it is now by default) or to stay in the point moved to last (latch/hold there). This gives some great live performance tools. The same could be done on the right X/Y pad too, which now by default always stays in the last point moved to. This is my only suggestion, for the rest it is great!

BTW, how does on program breath/CC2 in? And what does "Gliss" do?
Helder

Postby Helder » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:19 pm

I can trigger the arpeggiator with my midi master keyboard or an external sequencer but a strange thing that happens is that the synth won't respond when I move the mod wheel or pitch wheel in my master keyboard fir example, despite the fact that it makes the parameters move on the arp screen on the ipad. When I move them with my finger in the touch screen of the ipad then the synth responds! Strange, no? A bug maybe?
Helder

Postby untergeekDE » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Like this? :)

The little red triangles switch the springs. Funny, I had also thought of this. Had decided to do it later.

Re the issue of MIDI CC going in but not out: this is a MIDI Thru issue, I've got to ask around how to do this.

Your last question: BREath control, or CC2, is what your Matrix-1000 responds to as "Lever 3" if the global settings have not been changed. In my controller, it is called MIDI CC - just try setting a matrix modulation with MIDI CC as source.
Attachments
Performance Panel v0.6.tbms
(78.27 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
untergeekDE

Postby Helder » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:25 pm

Damn, you are fast!

I have diwnloaded the file but it is the same Performance Panel (no red triangles). Could you check please?

Will try the MIDI CC (Breath) parameter in the mod matrix, but i think I already did and nothing happened. But no worries, it is not serious, already a lot to play with!

MIDI Thru the TBMS Matrix Template would be cool indeed. Thanks for checking. Best.
Helder

Postby Canisius » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:49 am

The new Arpeggiator, which looks great is not working for me now on the Matrix-6.

The other one did on midi channel 5.

Will try some more things, but no luck so far.
Canisius

Postby Canisius » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:49 am

I can trigger the arp from the virtuel keyboard in the app..
Canisius

Postby untergeekDE » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:26 am

Helder, you are right, fixed an error in an older version overwriting the spring switches, I'm sorry. Correct version here.

Canisius - I guess his is due to the new panel being on MIDI Channel 1 ;) Have a look at the channel settings; click on the panel title.
Attachments
Performance Panel v0.61.tbms
(103.33 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
untergeekDE

Postby Canisius » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:33 am

Hi,

Yeah I know, but it still does not work for me.

Should all the midi in's and out's be set to my midi iRig?

You have a page option on the Arpeggiator page now, with midi settings on it as well?

I tried a lot of diffrent combinations and channels on my synth and on the app.
Canisius

Postby Canisius » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:39 am

I guess the midi settings on the performance page, should be "same as application" ?
Still nothing though.
Canisius

Postby Helder » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks, the Arp works good! In my case the springs (red triangles) do not switch all the time as I touch them, not sure why...is it like this in yours?

Also, I assigned MIDI CC in the mod matrix to VCF Freq and nothing chnages when I change CC2 (Breath) in the Arp. I do the same with the mod wheel and it does chnage when O move it in the XY pad in the Arp screen. Maybe a bug with the MIDI CC setup on the mod matrix?

Casinius: yes, it should be the MIDI I/O and channel settings: set the midi out channel to the receiving channel of your synth and set the midi out port to, I guess, your iRig (which is directly connected to your synth right?). Do not leave it as "same as application" because it might be wrong there. And you change these settings by clicking on the text above the center of the Arp screen, just as it says on the template (a dialog box opens up). Best of luck.
Helder

Postby Canisius » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:19 pm

It worked after restarting the app a couple of times.

It's very cool!

thanks again!
Canisius

Postby Canisius » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:04 pm

The guy in the studio across from me had the
Matrix 1000 with an Obie editor, which worked
fine as well for the Modulation Matrix.

Untergeek you mentioned the Obie editor for the
Matrix-6 as well.

If the Obie editor works for the M6, why can't
the app work then? (Regarding the Modulation M.)
Canisius

Postby untergeekDE » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:09 pm

Canisius wrote:If the Obie editor works for the M6, why can't
the app work then? (Regarding the Modulation M.)

As I have tried to explain before: ObieEditor (and any piece of dedicated software) can construct a whole patch in memory, then transmit the complete patch in one go. All parameters, including modulation matrix settings.

TBMS is not built for this, and you can't really blame its maker for it. The idea behind TBMS is to have controllers do things - not to build elaborate patch structures in memory. Due to a lucky combination of Matrix-1000 special instructions for manipulating parameters and a TBMS feature named "Masked Variables", it is possible to send commands with up to four parameters - but this approach has its limits; you couldn't do this for the 133 parameters in one Matrix-6/1000 patch...

Just for the sake of naming all woes: the Construct-whole-patches-in-memory approach has three additional advantages. First, it works with the Global Parameters set as well; you might think of all global settings as a special patch that can only be transmitted as a whole; there is no command to manipulate single global parameters. Second, when you can construct a whole patch, you can also deconstruct it - you can load sound patches into the editor, tweak them, and learn from them. Third, you can circumvent two nasty bugs in the Matrix-1000 firmware which won't allow you to control parameters 29 and 53.
untergeekDE

Postby untergeekDE » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:29 pm

Helder wrote:Thanks, the Arp works good! In my case the springs (red triangles) do not switch all the time as I touch them, not sure why...is it like this in yours?

Erm.. no.

Helder wrote:Also, I assigned MIDI CC in the mod matrix to VCF Freq and nothing chnages when I change CC2 (Breath) in the Arp. I do the same with the mod wheel and it does chnage when O move it in the XY pad in the Arp screen. Maybe a bug with the MIDI CC setup on the mod matrix?

Or maybe time to have a look at the global settings of your M-1000 :) I've tried it and it works - but maybe I missed something; please tell me exactly what you entered where. And please try this: There are loads of the factory presets that react to Breath Control, try those - if there's no reaction, we can rule out that it's a problem with the programmer.
untergeekDE

Postby untergeekDE » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:35 am

Found two more errors: Helder, if you happen to have used Modulation path 4 for your CC2 settings, it wouldn't work because this path was broken. I fixed that and the FM control (which seems to have crept back in).

Will upload new canvas version v0.7 in a minute.
untergeekDE

Postby rdstreets » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:22 pm

Really want to thank you for creating this as it works great with my Matrix 6! My plan is to use this for the broad strokes then dive into Midiquest for the fine tuning. Cool thing is I can have both programs up at once and see both the character read out on the synth and parameter setting in Midiquest update as I make changes on TBMS.

Only change I made was to the color scheme to match the face of the M6! Cheers!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (246.29 KiB) Viewed 30151 times
rdstreets

Next

Return to Instruments Pages